Students from the Pierre y Marie Curie High Scool in Nicaragua discovered an asteroid in 2012. This discovery led to the construction of a new observatory for their school.
Students in India, working in collaboration with SPACE, have discovered several asteroids during their participation in many IASC campaigns.
Dr. Richard Wainscoat, Pan-STARRS Principal Investigator, and a graduate student at the University of Hawaii looking at a recent comet discovery.
Students from Dillard Drive Middle School in North Carolina (USA) made an asteroid discovery which led to them being invited to make a presentation to NASA during the Asteroid Grand Challenge conference.
The International Astronomical Search Collaboration (IASC) is an educational outreach program for high schools and colleges. It provides high quality astronomical data to students around the world. Students are able to make original astronomical discoveries and participate in hands-on astronomy. This service is provided at no cost to the participating schools!
Welcome! International Astronomical Search Collaboration (IASC = "Isaac")
The Pan_STARRS Asteroid Search Campaign, All-Uruguay Asteroid Search Campaign and All-Venezuela Asteroid Search Campaign are now underway.
It is important that you understand how to use Astrometrica, identify true and false signatures (i.e., not all moving things are asteroids), and prepare a clean and accurate MPC report. If you can do these things, your students will be successful in discovering new Main Belt asteroids and making important near-Earth object observations.
For 2014-2015 the forthcoming IASC search campaign dates are the following:
|•Sept. 20-Oct. 25, 2014:||All-Uruguay Asteroid Search Campaign*|
|•Sept. 20-Oct. 25, 2014:||All-Venezuela Asteroid Search Campaign*|
|•Oct. 18-Nov. 22, 2014:||Pan-STARRS Asteroid Search Campaign*|
|•Oct. 27-Dec. 1, 2014:||Target Asteroids! Asteroid Search Campaign*|
|•Oct. 27-Dec. 1, 2014:||International Asteroid Search Campaign*|
|•Dec. 3-Jan. 7, 2015:||NUCLIO Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Dec. 3-Jan. 7, 2015:||All-Venezuela Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Jan. 8- Feb. 12, 2015:||Nuclio Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Jan. 8-Feb. 12, 2015:||International Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Jan. 16-Frb. 20, 2015:||Pan-STARRS Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Feb. 13-Mar. 20, 2015:||International Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Feb. 13-Mar. 20, 2015:||NUCLIO Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Mar. 16-Apr. 20, 2015:||Pan-STARRS Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Mar. 21-Apr. 25, 2015:||Global Astonomy Month Search Campaign|
|•Mar. 21-Apr. 25, 2015:||International Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Apr. 26-May 31, 2015:||All-Iran Asteroid Search Campaign|
|•Apr. 26-May 31, 2015:||All-India Asteroid Search Campaign|
* indicates a full campaign.
If your school would like to participate in an IASC search campaign contact the IASC Director,
Dr. J. Patrick Miller by email at:
Campaigns usually fill up 180 days prior to their starting date.
IASC (pronounced "Isaac") is a collaboration of:
- Hardin-Simmons University (Abilene, TX)
- Lawrence Hall of Science (University of California, Berkeley)
- Astronomical Research Institute (Westfield, IL)
- Global Hands-On Universe Association (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Sierra Stars Observatory Network (Markleeville, CA)
- Tarleton State University (Stephenville, TX)
- Yerkes Observatory (University of Chicago)
- National Astronomical Observatories of China (Beijing, China)
- Pan-STARRS (Institute for Astronomy, University of Hawaii)
- Faulkes Telescopes Project (Wales)
- G.V. Schiaparelli Astronomical Observatory (Italy)
- Western Kentucky University (Bowling Green, KY)
- Astronomers Without Borders (Calabasas, CA)
- Space Generation Advisory Council (Vienna, Austria)
- Target Asteroids! (University of Arizona)
- Mt. Lemmon SkyCenter (University of Arizona)
- Astrometrica (H. Raab, Austria)
32" Prime Focus Telescope
Astronomical Research Institute
50" RCT Telescope
Western Kentucky University
24" Nighthawk CC06 Telescope
Sierra Stars Observatory
32" Schulman Telescope
Mt. Lemmon SkyCenter
32" Ritchey-Chrètien Telescope
Tarleton State University